Wow. Of the 17 years that I've been an Eagles fan, this has got to be the most turbulent and up and down season I've ever seen. I had high hopes going in and there were some great wins followed by terrible, ugly and devastating losses. At one low point of the season I myself said that the head coach and the quarterback both needed to be replaced. But lo and behold, miracle of miracles, the Eagles started winning, other teams lost, and the Eagles made it into the playoffs. Then they won their first playoff game and then their 2nd, and then it worked out that the championship game would be played in Phoenix and I told Heidi that we had to go. Neither of us had ever been to an NFL game before and this was going to be so awesome-a chance for our team to play to go to the Super Bowl doesn't happen that often. Heidi's been great, never been a sports fan in her life, but being the sweet and supportive wife that she is, was all for it and said we could make the trip and watch our Eagles.
Hockey players have a long tradition about growing out their beards when their team's in the playoffs and when the Eagles made the playoffs, their head coach, owner, and most of their players decided to not shave, and in support of my favorite team I didn't shave or cut my hair either.
I know, sexy huh? People would see me in class and think "Who's that cute homeless guy?" But it's going to be good to get cleaned up and be able to kiss my wife again since she wouldn't let me very much these last few weeks.
Anyway, finding tickets to the game turned out to be quite the ordeal. We were on Ebay and craig's list all week and after almost getting scammed 2 or 3x by people telling us to send them money, we ended up driving down to Phoenix on Sat. without tickets hoping and praying that we'd be able to find some. And we did at about 8pm the night before the game, and good thing too cuz I didn't see any scalpers trying to sell tickets at the game like I thought I would.

Even from the nosebleeds we still had a clear view of all the action
Going to the game was just as fun as I thought it would be. In a city full of bandwagon cardinals fans, us Eagles fans had to stick together and as we walked to the stadium I loved high-fiveing every other Eagles fan and joining in the E-A-G-L-E-S chants along the way. Inside, we were greatly outnumbered but there were still enough Eagles fans nearby to high five and cheer with. But alas, just like the Eagles season, they were up and down and in the end they lost. Ugh...

WHY DID YOU JINX US ESPN? WHY?
So to finish my title-Being an Eagles fan is like- being in love with someone who "just isn't that into you." You get so excited, your heart is pounding, your palms are all sweaty, they're all you can think about, and they say they'll call you tomorrow (like saying we'll win it next year) and then-boom. Nothing. Utter disappointment. Agony. Heartbreak. For all you who aren't sports fans it's like seeing your biggest crush ever-hold hands or kiss someone else. That's how it feels. Plus a kick in the pants...
Was it worth it to go even tho our team lost? Definitely-without a doubt it was an amazing experience and a great weekend, besides the fact that our team lost. A fun little mini vacay, great weather in the mid 70's, football, the best dinner and dessert ever (creme brulee cheesecake-even better than it sounds), and a beautiful, darling fellow Eagles supporter. What more could you ask for (besides a W of course)?
The stadium was beautiful and even tho we were in the nosebleeds we still had a great view of everything. Being in there with 70,000 people yelling and screaming in a closed dome, it was loudest thing I have ever heard- def even louder than any rock concert. The fans were great-nobody threw anything at us and didn't mind me jumping up and down and yelling my head off and screaming things like how the refs were gay...and some even shook our hands after the game and told us that was a great game. So thanks Phoenix, we had a great weekend-you stay classy.

The Eagles are now 3-1 instead of 4-0 when American Idols sing. Thanks Jordan

The Opening Kickoff

Where it all started to go downhill

Firebirds-highly recommend everything
13 comments:
I'm so glad you guys decided to go down to AZ for the game. It looks like you had a blast. Is the scruff gone yet?!
Well I'm glad that you guys had a great time. Heids looks cute in her Eagles shirt. I can't wait for the baby bump! Marcus always wants to grow a beard everytime he has a few days off and Emma and I don't let him near us! That food looks really good. I've been dreaming about US food!
Ryan you are the greatest! To be that excited about something and that dedicated is envious! Way to be! I am glad you went and had a great time! Did you buy any Eagles gear for the little one?
Nat
haha your scruff is awesome! How fun that you got to go to that game!
Oh Ryan, how I love your mexi-scruff!!! We are sad we couldn't join you for your weekend, but it ended up good cos we moved back into our place! Next time tho hey!! Looked like you had a blast despite the loss tho!!
Loved reading all about the trip! I was thinking about you all week-end. Glad you got tickets, even if they were in the nosebleed section! You are so funny, I love reading your blog posts! Keep it up!
Now that the Eagles are out...it's Go Cardinals all the way! Glad someone is finally bringing the wonderful world of sports into that family!! Ha! They don't know what they're missing, do they?
Thanks Nance. It was so awesome to see our Eagles in person. yeah, we're going for the Cards too cuz I'm so sick of the Steelers-they're the new cowboys on my hate list. It is great to see the Larsons support me and watch my Eagles too.
FUN!! That looks like it was so fun to go to that game. Sorry, they lost...but it made for a FUNNY post!! You are hilarious!! Love to read your posts!
Ribs, your blog makes me just chuckle. I'm so glad you and Heidi got a weekend away to do something that you LOVE, Heidi has always been a good sport, so I can see why she supports you in your Eagles Passion. I'm sad they lost. BUT...I'm glad you got your hair cut and shaved. You look so handsome again. What a wonderful son-in-law you are. I love you!
That;s fun though living here I have to say that the fact that the superbowl was here last year & now our team going is awesome!
Ryan...you are too funny! What a fun trip. Sorry about your Eagles. Kenny and I mourned the Chargers loss too. Guess this just wasn't the year for either of our teams. :( On the up side, you two are about to be parents!!! I'm still so excited for you guys!
p.s. Ryan - you're doing a great job with the blog and all, but what happened Heidi? You inspired me to start mine and now...what's up with never posting???
don't worry, i'm not taking over, Heidi needed a break and I had to post abt our Eagles' weekend. she'll be back posting soon.
fyi-we're planning on coming out there to San Diego when the Eagles play the Chargers next fall.
heidi! its been awhile!! found your blog through lexie and nancy and wanted to say hi. congrats on the baby. i remember saying when you go married that you guys were going to have the cutest kids! hope your feeling good.
Post a Comment