8.31.2009

Whitney is finally here! (catching up on blog posts)

I want to write about my labor and delivery for journal purposes. It has taken me a long time to recover and actually be able to write about it. I had a very rough labor and delivery - quite traumatizing actually.

Here's me when we got to the hospital - smiling and ready to get my baby here.
Little did I know it would be 22 hours later!
I was induced on August 3rd, my actual due date, because I had been having high blood pressure. I went in to the hospital around 6:30 AM. I didn't sleep the night before because I was getting nervous and anxious and they told me they could call me in any time after midnight. So Ryan and I got to the hospital and they got me all hooked up...monitors, IV, and blood pressure cuff. I was dilated to about a 3 when I got there. Later they started the pitocin and I started to feel the contractions. After Dr. Fagnant broke my water, they really started to get strong and hurting. I got the epidural around 1 pm. It took a while for the anesthesiologist to get it placed just right, but after it was all over I was feeling lots better. I could still move my legs pretty good the whole time. I liked it that way because I could move positions a little easier. I dilated pretty slowly all day long. My contractions weren't very strong even with a lot of pitocin! So it was a pretty long and slow day. I tried sleeping but never really could. Ryan stayed with me the entire time and my parents were there most of the day and they were there with me all night until Whitney came. My sisters and aunt Sheila stayed pretty close by and when I was fully dilated they came and waited in the waiting room and came in my room right in time to see Whitney come out. I think by around midnight I was fully dilated but Whitney was still up pretty high, so I pushed for a little bit to see if I could get her to come down some more. I pushed for a while and got tired so I took a break and ended up throwing up and feeling miserable. I was told I have a very prominent pubic bone so they told me it was going to take a lot of pushing to get Whitney under it so she could come out. That was an understatement! I ended up pushing for about 4 hours. I seriously thought I wasn't going to be able to do it. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. There were a lot of things that contributed to my awful labor and delivery.

1. My contractions were weak. They are supposed to be like up in the 70's or so on the monitor and mine were all around 40. Normally, someone in labor does about 30% of the pushing and the contractions do the rest. Well, my Dr told me I was doing most of the pushing because my contractions weren't hardly helping.
2. Whitney was posterior and decided to flip right before she came out. It took LOTS of different positions I had to get in to get her to flip.
3. My epidural wore off when I was pushing. I couldn't feel contractions but I could feel the burning and awful pressure down there. It was the worst pain I've ever felt. The anesthesiologist tried re-dosing my epidural but it didn't work. My Dr ended up doing a pudendal block that didn't really relieve pain for delivery but helped for the stitching up part. So pretty much, I delivered naturally. I don't know how anyone ever does it.
4. Prominent pubic bone + 8 lb baby don't mix very well!

Well, by 4:32 am I delivered the most beautiful baby I've ever seen. It was a very emotional experience that's for sure. I was completely out of it and exhausted. Whitney had a little trouble breathing right after delievery so she had some help from the respiratory therapists. She came around pretty quick and ended up being just fine.

Here are pictures of her holding her daddy's hand.
So precious.
She weighed 8 lbs 3 oz and was 20 inches long.
Ryan was the proudest Daddy ever. He was so excited to see his little baby girl.
These pictures are of me and Ryan holding her for the first time.
It was love at first sight.
Whitney sucked on the nurses finger until she could breast feed.
It was so cute!
Look at those chubby cheeks!
Oh my goodness she's the cutest thing I've ever seen.
Whitney's first bath.
Look at all that dark hair!
I couldn't believe how much hair she had.
I was not expecting that much!
It's absolutely beautiful.
These pictures are priceless.
I had Ryan take these pictures of me but I couldn't keep my eyes open because I was so completely exhausted and and drugged.
I love my new baby girl.
She was so cuddly and cozy with me.
Some of our visitors at the hospital
"cutest baby in the nursery"

Ryan wanted to wear his "China" shirt after Whitney was born so she'd know what kind of asian she is. haha.
Going home!

13 comments:

The Morrisons... said...

Ok...she is seriously THE cutest thing! I am so sorry to hear about your labor...now you know about that dang tail bone for next time.

Congratulations to the both of you.

hoLLY said...

oh my goodness!!! she IS the cutiest thing ever, those pics are great! wow im so sorry about your labor!!! your so strong to go through that! anyway congrats!!!!

The Gubler Fam said...

She is seriously so so cute! I am sorry you had such a hard time! Sounds a lot like my labor with Grant! You and Ryan do GREAT work! she is a doll

Erin said...

Heidi - she is so beautiful!

When my mom called and told me about your delivery I just bawled for you! I felt so awful you had to go through that. I'm so so sorry and hope you are recovering ok. Good thing these little ones are worth all they put us through!

Those pictures are all so precious. What a doll she is.

cami said...

she is the cutest thing ever.... sorry that the labor was terrible. That makes it really hard.

Jennifer L said...

I'm so glad you posted about your labor and delivery. You will be glad someday! You are amazing Heidi. You have been through so much and still have the best attitude. I love you and your little family so much!

Angela said...

I loved reading about your labor - even how difficult it was. It gives me hope that I will survive my first time giving birth in the very near future no matter how it goes! Your little girl is so precious and I'm sure worth it all the way to you - congrats again!

Ashley Chong said...

Heidi!
Wow you are so brave and strong! Good job for all your hard work! I'm sorry it was such a horrible labor and delivery for you! I'm glad you wrote about it too. She is so precious and beautiful! I love all her hair too and I can't wait to see you all in two days! Lots of love!!

Jennifer said...

I think I've looked at your pictures like 15 times since you posted them yesterday. I can't get over how beautiful Whitney is! I'm so sad that we live so far away.
I'm sorry to hear about that yucky labor. You're so brave! Give Whitney hugs and kisses for me and keep posting pictures for me to drool over til I get a cutie of my own!

Nielsen Family said...

Ah I can imagine why it took you so long to write it down. I got a little teary eyed for you just reading it. I love all the pictures. Whitney is really adorable. I can't wait to see her again!

Natalie said...

Great post Heids! You are amazing and I am so sorry your body went through so much! She is perfect and I adore her already! See you Sunday! Loves!

Steph said...

Heidi she is so beautiful!! Congrats!! Sorry to just randomly comment on your blog but I just wanted to tell you how pretty I think she is and what a trooper you are!! You are wonder woman girl!! Anywho, good job you two, she's beautiful!!

Heath & Ege said...

Your belly was HA-UGE! : So cute. Whitney is so stinking cute. I still think she is a good mixture of you and Ribbles. Glad you are feeling better! Love you