11.21.2009

The Pioneer Woman

Haylee and I drove up to Salt Lake to meet Ree, The Pioneer Woman.
and to get our cookbooks signed!
While we were waiting in line we captured a picture with Marlboro Man's lovely mom...
and Missy, Ree's sister in law.
We waited out in the cold for a while.
Whit was just a little frightened by all the people around. ha!
After quite the night...we finally got our cookbooks signed!
And got a picture with this adorable lady.
She could be our sister!
Thanks PW for being so nice and sweet...even to the last people in line. It was a long night for you I'm sure. It was a long night for us too. :) It was worth it though.
You are so cute.
(Here's the long version of the story):

Haylee heard that Pioneer Woman (aka Ree Drumond or P Dub) was going to be in Salt Lake for a book signing and she wanted to go SO bad. She couldn't find anyone crazy enough to go with her, so Whit and I ended up going. (Guess I'm pretty crazy.. or just a really nice sister).

We left town around 3 and the book signing started at 7. As we were leaving I mentioned how crazy and long the line was going to be. Haylee was like, "I don't think it will be too long, it's just at a little bookshop in Sugar House." I laughed at her and said, "no way...I bet there is going to be a TON of people there." I also called the bookshop to make sure PW was still going to be there before we made the 4 hour drive, and I asked them if they expected a lot of people. (The lady laughed at me as she said yes).

We pulled up right at 7 and saw the huge crowd. We go out and try to find the end of the line and we start hearing things about tickets. Tickets?? What?? We didn't hear anything about tickets. I guess the bookshop gave tickets out earlier in the day...20 tickets per letter of the alphabet up to letter R. Ha! We also heard someone say that it was very unlikely anyone without a ticket would get to meet her. (We didn't even have cookbooks to get signed because we were planning on buying them there. Haylee was SO lucky and got the LAST one. And a nice girl in front of us sold me hers that she bought for her mom).

Since it was now past 8, and they were only on letter D, Hay and I decided to go get dinner. We were starving! And poor little Whitney was cold and tired. So we gave our phone number to a girl we met in line and told her to call us if anything changed. We met up with Tori Pikula, Alexis, and her friend Laura at Cheesecake. About half-way through dinner, our friend in line called to tell us they were on letter E and that they were leaving because they told everyone it wasn't looking like anyone without tickets would get to meet her. :( We took our time eating and enjoying time with friends and then decided we HAD to go back to the bookstore to meet PW. After all, we did drive up to Salt Lake and there was NO WAY we would go home without a signed cookbook and a picture with Ree!

So we get back to the bookshop around 11 and the line is now just barely outside the door. We made it inside the bookstore with 2 other girls behind us and then they closed the doors! We barely made it. We waited in line for about 45 minutes and finally met The Pioneer Woman. She was darling. She looked like she could be our sister. She was so nice to us and loved little Whitney. (Whitney fell asleep in her car seat on the way to dinner and stayed asleep the whole night)! Sweet little girl. We were going to drive back home that night but had no idea it would be so late. So we ended up staying at Alexis' friends house. (Thanks Laura). We got up the next morning at 6 am and drove home! Wow. We are crazy. It was so fun though and we decided it was worth it all.
(If you don't know who The Pioneer Woman is, go here. You also need to read her love story called Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. You'll love it. Here's the link: Black Heels

3 comments:

Emily Adamson said...

That's awesome - I just love her blog and have asked Santa for her cookbook. You'll have to post about the recipes you try. And yes, Ree does look like your sister!

Sherie said...

I'm jealous. What a fun adventure! And yes, she does look like she could be your sister! Your all darling. I can't get enough of her blog..and yours! That Whitney is a DOLL! Love all the updates..order or not! ;)

Nielsen Family said...

How fun! She could be your sister. I love Whit's scared face...too cute!