5.13.2010

Head Turner

Don't call it a comeback cuz I never left. Yeah it's been over a yr since I last wrote abt Dr. Walker but I've been here the whole time. Heidi's been telling me I need to write again, especially since I haven't written anything abt Whitney since she was born. But seriously, I've been a super busy guy. Free time? What's that? Schezwan's been too busy being a full-time student, a new daddy, and working as a butt-wiper for 24-30hrs a week. So yeah, free time is not something I've had very much of at all for a long while. Exercise or work out? Don't be silly. Write in my journal? Nope guess again. Golf? Not in over a yr. Work on my tan? Oh wait, never mind. Luckily I'm done with school for a few weeks before summer school starts up and then it's back to the school grind again.

Anyway, enough of that. What I really wanted to write abt is something I realized last week while the Chongers were out running errands around town. It has become quite common for people to just stop and stare, and ooh and ahh when they see us. Granted, we are a pretty unique family. It's like one of those bad old jokes-you know "A Mexican, a Jew, and a black man walk into a bar..." but instead it's "A red-head, an Asian, and a half red-head/half Asian baby walk into..." and everywhere we go people do double takes and nudge their friends and say stuff along the lines of: "Oh my gosh! Look at that baby!" or "Holy cow! What a doll!" or "Look at those cheeks. I just wanna eat her up." or "Oh my word-so adorable!" Stuff like that, and it's not just once in awhile, it's all the time, wherever we go. At stores, church, or even when we eat out, complete strangers will come up to us so they can get a closer look at our little girl and tell us she's the cutest thing they've ever seen. And as proud parents we smile and politely say thank you.

It's such a frequent occurrence for people to drool all over Whit and make some sort of comment abt how darling she is-that I realized that I've become spoiled to the point that I pretty much expect it now. If you look at our baby, I expect you to tell me how beautiful and precious she is and make a big deal over her.

I mean, honestly-who wouldn't love this little face?



Or this one?



If you do look at our little Whitney and don't have anything nice to say abt how gorgeous she is, I apologize if I give you a crusty look or mean glare. It's not that I'm mad at you or don't like you. It's cuz I've been spoiled by everyone telling me how darling our little girl is, and I have unrealistic expectations that everyone must love her and tell us so. That, and if it "Takes one to know one," you must not be very good looking cuz you don't know good looking when you see her.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

I have to agree. She is so dang cute!!

Heidi said...

Oh Ryan...you make me laugh. I hope people don't take you too seriously! Glad you're back. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Heidi. I didn't write this intending to be braggy or show-offy. But to show how adorable I think our little Whit is and how much I love her, like I tried to do when I wrote your bday post last yr and pretended that you wrote it.

Nielsen Family said...

Oh my gosh Ryan this is so funny cause when Emma was that age we were the same. Everyone said how cute she was and then if someone didn't make a stink about her we thought they were weird. Like at a restaurant if our server didn't talk to her or about her it affected their tip! haha now people just look at us and think wow I wish those people could get their kid to stop screaming.

Laura Edwards said...

She is so beautiful!!!

BJ and Amber said...

I love it when Ryan writes on the Chongers Blog! Yep, it's so true, Whit is the cutest thing around - next to Carly of course :)

Jennifer L said...

She is a doll. Beautiful. She makes us all smile :) I love my little Whitney!

Bonnie said...

Oh, I have to totally agree with you on this one! Whitney is a little doll! I swear, she just gets cuter and cuter every time I see her.
How do you not spoil her when she smiles like that?

Emily Adamson said...

Yes, she's the prettiest little girl I've ever seen! And you two do such a great job of taking pictures and documenting experiences - it's great for all of us that you share your beautiful daughter, but she'll especially appreciate this blog down the road!

Quists said...

Well Ryan - I can tell you are stretched for time and that you are quite astute at finding ways to make more of it. For example, think about all of the time you saved by not completely spelling out "about" and "because." I'm sure that with all of that extra time you can now enjoy a nice long bath while those other silly bloggers are still typing out full sentences. Suckers. And by the way - your daughter is adorable. Talk to you soon,
Cody

Quists said...

Hi Ry! I love when you write because then I get to enjoy Cody's deep, real laugh! You are SO funny! (Not that he doesn't do it other times, but you help bring that out in him). Baby Whit is adorable. What would you say about arranging a half asian/half redhead baby with a blue-eyed, blonde? She can go for older (Hazen) or a couple of months younger (Cannon). Don't Asians do arranged marriages? If so, we're in.
Kami

Anonymous said...

Well Kami and Cody, you all just need to move to St. G so we can laugh like that all the time like the old days. Seriously-Cody you're the perf friend to golf and play ping pong with and eat Beto's nachos. I have noone like that here and we have a Costco so just apply and move on out already.
As for the arranged marriage-it really is going to come down to the reverse dowry. Normally the bride pays the husband, but we're looking for whoever wants to pay the most for our Whit. Back in the day a few cows might have been good enuf but it's going to take at least a BMW X6 for Papa Chonger to let Whit get married...