2.07.2008

新年快乐 (Happy New Year)



Today is the Chinese New Year, so I thought I'd do a little shout out to Ryan!  I did a little "googling" to find out more about what the Chinese do to celebrate.  Ryan probably knows a lot of this because he studied his culture in college.  Things I found out:  The biggest event on any Chinese New Years eve is the dinner every family will have.  The Chinese New Year celebrations are marked by visits to relatives and friends - a practice known as "new-year visits." New clothing is usually worn to signify a new year, the color red is liberally used in all decorations, there are parades, and  "red packets" (that are full of money) are given to children by their parents/relatives.  Ryan said that he used to get them from relatives when he would visit them in Hawaii.  The new year festivities last for like 15 days!  I think it would be fun to make it a tradition in our family to do a little celebrating ourselves...maybe some Chinese food or sunting. :) 

Gung Hee fat choy!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good info! I love the idea of bringing Chinese traditions into your family. With Tristan having served his mission in Sweden, we did Swedish stuff for Christmas. It was so fun! Tell me what you guys end up doing, and maybe we'll have to pick it up too. After all, I have Chinese relations, right?? :)

Anonymous said...

I totally think you should celebrate it! Any excuse for a party!

Anonymous said...

Happy Chinese New Year! I bought some of those red envelopes in Hawaii called leesee (sp?) I miss getting those! lol

Sita, Shalie, Kalia, and Vili said...

I think that is a great idea to start the tradition in your family. By the way do you know when Heather's wedding is?

The Kitchens said...

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a total blog stalker! If we didn't, we wouldn't ever find more friends! We are planning on staying in the Henderson's as long as they'll have us. We love being so close to family, and the ward is so great!